As winter progresses and spring slowly approaches many anglers that arent out ice fishing are taking inventory of their fishing gear and asking the question” whats the best rod and reel combo available for the Maumee river and the walleye run” . Of course there are many factors that need to be taken in to account -durability, sensitivity, fit and feel, and affordability.
There are hundreds of variations of rod/reel combinations that will do the trick, but I’m just going to highlightÂ several combos that will meet the criteria required to fish with confidence in the Maumee. Lets keep in mind that the spawningÂ grounds of the Maumee is brushy and rocky. That’s why the Walleye and White Bass love this section of the river, there are millions of places for their eggs to stick and germinate into hatchlings.Â This brushy /rocky river is also hard on rods and reels, you’re going to get snagged quite a bit.
Most ofÂ the below mentioned rods come in a recommended length of 6’6″ to 7′. Longer and shorter options are available but we think that 6’6″- 7′ is optimal for casting and fighting power.
St.Croix Eyecon walleye rods. Built on a very responsive SCIIÂ graphite blanks with technique-specific actions for just about any walleye fishing scenario.Â Recommended lengths 6’6″-7′.
Pfleuger President Reel-
- 10 Bearing System – Corrosion resistant stainless steel ballÂ bearings
- Graphite Body and Rotor – Lightweight graphite reel
- Braid Ready Spool
- SealedÂ Drag System
- Slow Oscillation Gearing
- AluminumÂ Handle – Aircraft grade aluminum
- Smooth intermediate carbon fiber blank
- FujiÂ®Â reel skeleton and full reel seats
- Sea Guide SS316Â Stainless sloped guides with Zirconium inserts
- PremiumÂ Cork and TAC grips in split and full handle model
Shimano Sahara Spinning Reels debut a distinctive look while delivering enhanced, top-drawer performance at a modest price point. Lightweight but impressively strong, Sahara FE Series Reels sport a graphite frame, rotor, and sideplate for a weight savings you’ll feel in an instant. Sahara FE Series Spinning Reels feature a smooth, four-bearing system.
Maumee Custom Rod
â€“ 7 foot, 1 piece Rod
â€“ Medium Action, Fast Tip
â€“ Composite Graphite Â Rod
â€“ # 6-15 Line Weight
â€“ 1/8 â€“ 3/4 oz Lure Weight
â€“ Hook Keeper
â€“ Â 8 Braid Rated Guides
Abu Garcia Silver Max reel
- 5 ball bearings + 1 roller bearing
- Lightweight graphite body andÂ rotor
- Machined aluminum spool
- Everlastâ„¢ bail system
- Slow OscillatiÂ on
- Rocket line managementâ„¢ system
- Rocket Spool Lip Designâ„¢
Offering serious performance with cutting edge design, the Silver Maxâ„¢Â spinning reel features the latest in design advancements with its RocketÂ Line Management systemâ„¢. It features five bearings along with anÂ additional instant anti-reverse bearing that stops fish in their tracksÂ and an Everlastâ„¢ bail system.
Smooth performance at a great value! The PresidentÂ spinning reel is first in its class in both featuresÂ and performance, delivering a reel that will impressÂ over and over again. Paired with an extremelyÂ responsive and sensitive IM-8 rod for an unbeatableÂ combination.
- 10 Bearing System – Corrosion resistant stainlessÂ steel ball bearings
- Braid Ready Spool – Allows braidÂ to be tied directly to spool
- Aluminum Handle -Â Aircraft grade aluminum, extreme durability
- I-M8Â Graphite Rod – High modulus graphite blank construction,Â lightweight sensitivity
- Stainless Steel Guides -Â Strong and corrosion resistant guideÂ system
- 6 ball bearings + 1 roller bearing provides smoothÂ operation
- Lightweight graphite body and rotor
- MachinedÂ aluminum spool provides strength without adding excessÂ weight
- Everlastâ„¢ bail system for improvedÂ durability
- Slow Oscillation provides even line layÂ with all types of line
- Rocket line managementâ„¢ systemÂ provides better control for all types of lines
- RocketÂ Spool Lip Designâ„¢ allows better control of line comingÂ off the spool
- 24 Ton graphite rod for a lightweightÂ balanced design
- High density EVA gives greaterÂ sensitivity and durability
- Texas rigged hook keeperÂ for all bait applications
Taking design cues from the OrraÂ® and RevoÂ® lineups,Â the Pro Maxâ„¢ spinning combo boasts the sameÂ exceptionally smooth package as itâ€™s low profileÂ counterpart with a lightweight graphite frame andÂ seven bearing system. The Pro Max spinning reel comboÂ also features our Rocket Line Management systemâ„¢Â allowing maximized casting distance while reducingÂ wind knots.
The Pflueger Trion spinning reels & combos are the workhouse ofÂ theÂ Pflueger product line-up. Performance & quality only seen inÂ reelsÂ twice its price. The Trion is truly â€˜The Smart Choiceâ„¢â€™.
- 7 Bearing System – Corrosion resistant stainlessÂ steel ball bearings
- Aluminum Spool – Lightweight,Â durable, aluminum spool design
- Aluminum Spool -Â Lightweight, durable, spool design
- I-M6 Graphite Rod -Â Mid-modulus graphite blank construction, lightweightÂ sensitivity
- Stainless Steel Guides – Strong andÂ corrosion resistant guide system
Have Fun, Be Safe and Good Luck Fishing
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /srv/users/mbtuser/apps/maumeetackle/public/wp-content/themes/maumeetackle/report-single.php on line 41